Benchmarks & Client Cases

Interregional Transport Optimisation

The Challenge

Unleveled demand through the day



• Operational costs on an upward trajectory in the transport business

• Unlevelled demand throughout operational hours: 50% of the demand within a 4h period (out of 24h)

• High percentage of inactive time for vehicles and drivers

• Pressure to reduce operational costs in order to hold market share

Root Causes

• Traditional Transport System Design: resources dedicated to different groups with fixed capacity that does not contribute to an improvement in resource occupation

• Lack of resource planning standards: daily reactive management

• Excessive loading and unloading times: high percentage of non-value-added tasks

• Increasing fuel and resource cost

The Solution


1 trailer: n trucks

• Separating trailer planning from driver and truck planning: intermediate terminals to break routes and reduce empty trailer trips

• Resources dedicated to geographical regions instead of groups allows for improved occupation

• Implementation of Planning Tools in loading area, delivery area and capacity scaling. 80% completion of routes planned days in advance, with daily optimisation for the remaining 20%

• Productivity improvement of load/delivery operations supported by Daily KAIZEN™ Tools

The Results

The project had a Payback period of 7 months with annual savings surpassing $4.7 million.

Cost per load

Cost per load

Cost per load reduced by 23%

Load/Unload Productivity

Load/Unload Productivity

Number of loading and unloading activities increased by 65%


Get all the latest news about Kaizen Institute. Subscribe now.

* required fields

arrow up